Sunday, October 4, 2009

Woman’s Shattered Life Shows Ground Beef Inspection Flaws

Stephanie Smith, 22, was left paralyzed in 2007 after eating a burger tainted by E. coli. Tracing her burger shows why eating ground beef is still a gamble.

“Ground beef is not a completely safe product,” said Dr. Jeffrey Bender, a food safety expert at the University of Minnesota who helped develop systems for tracing E. coli contamination. He said that while outbreaks had been on the decline, “unfortunately it looks like we are going a bit in the opposite direction.”

Read the full story here.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin