WARNING means that the chemical is harmful if swallowed. Ingestion of a teaspoon to an ounce could kill an average sized adult.
CAUTION means that the chemical is harmful if swallowed. Ingestion of an ounce to a pint could kill an average adult.
On average, U.S. poison centers handle one poison exposure every 13 seconds.
Generic substances (not all inclusive) involved in pediatric (under age of 6) exposures were:
Adhesives/glues, Arts/crafts/office supplies, Batteries, Chemicals, Cleaning substances, Cosmetics & personal care, Deodorizers, Dyes, Fertilizers, Paints & stripping agents, Pesticides, Pharmaceuticals/vitamins, Plants, Polishes & waxes, and Tobacco products.
Ingestion was the pathway of poisoning in 76.9% of the cases, followed by dermal (skin) (7.5%), inhalation (breathing) (5.8%), and ocular (eye) (5.2%).
Statistics source: Watson W.A., Litovitz, T.L., Klein-Schwartz W., et al, 2003 Annual Report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers Toxic Exposure Surveillance System. Am J Emerg Med 2004; 22:335-404.