Friday, January 2, 2009

Comfort Food for a Any Day

Homemade Biscuits

2 cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 Tablespoons butter

1/2 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar
about 2/3 to 3/4 cup milk


  • Sift Flour first (in a huge hurry or do not have a sifter? Gently lift flour out of its container and pour -- almost sprinkle into measuring cup AND then do NOT fill measuring cup up to tip top) If you sift -- be sure to sift first and then measure
  • Add baking powder (if you do not sift this BE SURE to get any clumps out!)
  • Add salt and sugar, and sift again if you are using a sifter.
  • Cut in the butter (there is, of course, a kitchen tool for this but . . . . I just use my right hand - keeping my left hand free for holding the mixing bowl, answering the phone, turning on the water, signing school papers, lifting a small child . . . . you know).
  • Add the milk a little at a time while stirring (I am still using my hand - feel free to switch to a wooden spoon) until a soft dough is formed.
  • Turn out your dough on clean surface that is lightly floured. I use my wooden cutting board.
  • Knead gently for less than a minute -- enough to shape the dough.
  • Roll or gently press to ~1/2 inch thick and cut with any circular shape -- I use our smallest drinking glass -- about 2 1/2" in diameter. I also like to make a few long, slim log shapes and curl those into a circle.
  • Bake on ungreased sheet in a 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. They should be light, light brow on top. Check the bottoms to make sure they are not too dark.
  • This recipe makes ~~12 biscuits (If you haven't sampled too much of the dough!).
graphic source: PinchMySalt

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin