Saturday, December 27, 2008

Leftover Turkey? How About a Fabulous $5.00 Dinner?

I love to share a good find with my friends and readers.

If you know me, you know I am fairly frugal. In fact, I love to find ways to live more simply and be a good steward of our hard earned paychecks. It seems just plain "wrong" to me, to waste money. There are so many people struggling financially --- even $10.00 can make a huge difference in their lives. Imagine what $100 or $1000 can do to help others!

OK I am jumping off of my soap box now. I only meant to give a bit of detail to my mindset . . . .. . . . . . . my frugality framework.

To that end, let me tell you what I have found!! A like-mind . . . but someone who has taken the time and effort to share her strategies of frugality and simplicity and planning when it comes to meals! Check out $5 Dinners and then come tell me what you think!

From my nest to yours! Cheers and Blessings!

Here is a sneak peek at a recipe I found on her site and one that I have been using for years (or some close variation of) --
I just never figured the cost per ingredient before! I changed it from chicken to turkey. This recipe assumes you have some left over turkey and drippings or bones for creating broth.


OLD FASHIONED POT PIE

Pie Crusts for two pies ($1)
4 T. Butter ($.50)
1/4 cup Flour ($.02)
1 tsp. salt ($.05)
1/2 tsp. thyme ($.05)
1/2 tsp. pepper ($.05)
2 c. turkey broth (free)
1/2 c. milk ($.07) or half and half
2 cups turkey, cooked and cubed (free)
3 large potatoes diced and boiled for about 10 minutes ($1)
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables ($1) OR better -- fresh veggies

  • Preheat oven to 350 to 400.
  • Potatoes should be cooked or cooking now!
  • Line 2 pie plates with crust.
  • Melt butter in a large skillet over low heat and stir in flour, and seasonings. Cook until smooth and bubbly.
  • Remove from heat.
  • Stir in milk and broth. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly for one minute.
  • Stir in chicken and veggies.
  • Pour half of each mixture into each pie crust. Top with the second pie crust. Pierce tops with fork to allow some steam to escape during baking.
  • Bake on cookie sheet (I use my stone pizza sheet) 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Price for two large pies $5.74, serves 8
We usually serve our pot pies with a large salad.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin