Saturday, August 21, 2010

9 Things Your House Guests Won't Tell You

If you haven't gone into the guest bedroom since you stored last season's clothes, it's time for a quick makeover. Here are room-decorating ideas that will fix any faux pas, just in time for weekend visitors.


My water glass left a ring on the bedside table.
When you look for a nightstand, choose one that you don't have to worry about. If you want people to feel relaxed and comfortable, you can help by designing their room to be as low-maintenance as possible. A table with a glass top won't leave rings.

After turning out the lights, I bruised my knee climbing into bed.
Instead of harsh overhead lighting, try bedside sconces. Not only do they cast a soft, soothing light, guests won't have to negotiate their way back to bed in an unfamiliar space.

I'm hungry.
Guests don't want to be caught rummaging through your fridge. Leaving a small piece of fruit, like an orange or an apple, will curb their craving for a midnight snack.


I woke up at the crack of dawn.
Blackout shades are a great option for guest rooms. They work well when you want to sleep in late, and can also create a darkened, cool room on a summer afternoon.

I hate the giant bouquet.
Don't overwhelm a tiny table with a large bouquet. Just a few buds will give guests enough room to place their essentials — and won't bring on an onslaught of allergies.


I worry about waking you up.
Guests won't fret about walking around on creaking floors or disturbing you every time they get up if you throw down a plush rug. It also helps to warm up the space.

I'm really cold at night, or I'm uncomfortably hot.
Here's the secret to a perfectly prepared bed: Start with great cotton sheets, add a cotton coverlet, then finish with a down duvet on top. That combination offers enough flexibility to deal with the most extreme temperature swings. Think a down comforter is pricey? Check Ikea for affordable ones.

I can't find a place to charge my phone.
Guests shouldn't have to scramble down on all fours in order to find an outlet. Add a conveniently placed power strip or a docking station.


Oh no,  I can't see how my hair/dress/shirt looks in this tiny makeup mirror from my purse!
Guests will appreciate a mirror in the room!
H/T to my friend, Bridget, for reminding me!
 



How do you prepare your home for guests?
Another good article: 20 Decorating Ideas

SOURCE: House Beautiful Magazine

3 comments:

bridget {bake at 350} said...

These are great tips! I just may have to sleep in the guest room some night. My mom always said to put a mirror in the room, too. :)

Soutenus said...

Bridget,
You and your Mom are so right! I added it and changed the title of the post, too! (9 Thinks . . . )

I might even go back later and make it "10 Things . . . " because I remembered something my friend, Julie, does that made us feel so welcome . . . . stay tuned :-)

Anonymous said...

Top blog, I had not noticed the-best-nest.blogspot.com before during my searches!
Continue the excellent work!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin