WARNING: You can't trust warning labels!
The National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) analyzed 2983 chemicals used in personal care products. The results were as follows:
- 884 of the chemicals were toxic
- 314 caused biological mutation
- 218 caused reproductive complications
- 778 caused acute toxicity
- 148 caused tumors
- 376 caused skin and eye irritations
Did You Know?
- There are more than 3 million poisonings every year.
- Household cleaners are the #1 cause of poisonings in children.
- Regular shampoos often contain formaldehyde as a preservative
- Since 1980 asthma has increased by 600%
- Common household products have been identified as triggers of asthma
- A 15 year study found that women who worked at home had a 54% highter death rate from cancer than women who had jobs outside the home.
- Manufacturers ARE NOT required to list the exact ingredients on a label
- Chemical names are often disguised by using "trade names", so you may not recognize the chemical for what it truly is
- A women's fertility has also been negatively affected by the increase use of chemicals. In 1934 only 21 cases of endometriosis existed in the entire world. Today over 5 million women have this condition, which causes infertility in the US alone.
Why Should We Worry About Toxic Chemicals?
- According to the EPA, most homes have airborne concentrations of hazardous chemicals that are two to five times higher indoors than outdoors.
- According to the EPA, toxic chemicals found in the home are three times more likely to cause cancer than outdoor airborne pollutants.
- The Consumer product Safety Commission connects 150 chemicals commonly found in our homes to allergies, birth defects, cancer and psychological disorders.
- The National Cancer Institute has a list of twenty known carcinogens and over 2,200 chemicals that are probable carcinogens. Many of these chemicals are in the cleaners and personal care products you buy at your local grocery store.
What can you do?
There are many safe products on the market... all you have to do is change brands of products. Buy your products at a health food store, or order them from a reliable wellness company.
Links about these toxins: