Popeye (Spinach) PolentaPreheat oven to 350º
2 bunches spinach
1 med. onion-sliced thinly
4 cloves slivered garlic
¼ cup water
3 ½ cup water and/or vegetable broth
1 ¼ cup whole grain cornmeal
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. fresh herb of your choice
4 oz asiago cheese
4 oz fresh mozzarella
½ cup sour cream (can used reduced fat)
- Wash spinach. Coarse chop. Heat large skillet with olive oil, add onion and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add spinach and water. Cook and toss until wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Prepare polenta: Heat water/stock to a boil and add cornmeal gradually and in a steady stream stirring constantly with a wire whisk until combined. Continue to boil and cook, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes. Stir in seasonings in the last 2 minutes. Stir in asiago cheese.
- Smear a bottom thin layer of polenta into a 2 qt. casserole.
- Top with spinach.
- Top spinach with sour cream and sliced mozzarella. Top with remaining polenta.
- Bake for about 30 minutes and allow to rest another 5 minutes before serving.